Medicines/Vaccines Manager Private4 months ago - Job Offers - Lagos - 231 views
Medical Research Council (MRC) Unit, The Gambia - We are the leading research centre in sub-Saharan Africa, carrying out internationally competitive research into tropical medicine for over 50 years. Our current research agenda focuses on three themes: Disease Control & Elimination; Nutrition; Vaccines &Immunity. Looking towards the future. we are aiming to push forward into new and challenging areas reflecting changes in national and global health priorities.
Applications are invited for the position OF Medicines/Vaccines Manager
The post-holder will be based at the MRCGat LSHTM Fajara although may be required to work in other parts of The Gambia.
Purpose of the Job
- The post-holder will support several vaccine trials and other studies ongoing at the Unit. They will have a key role in supporting the principal investigator and clinical trial coordinators in these trials.
- They will work closely on a daily basis to support experienced clinical trial officers/senior nurses who have until now taken all responsibilities for vaccine management.
- Key tasks will include liaison with vaccine suppliers and external sponsors to ensure vaccine shipments are effectively coordinated, overseeing vaccine receipt from international shipments, cold chain monitoring and recording,vaccine accountability and vaccine stock management.
- They will work closely with internal and external clinical trial monitors and auditors both during site visits and by e-mail to resolve any discrepancies.They will also play an important role in the management of other medicines which may be provides to participants in trials (for example – associated with adverse events) to ensure effective stock management.
- Based on the experience of the applicant it is also hoped they will also work to develop ongoing quality improvement strategies for clinical trials and will provide training to other members of the team on best practice.
- The post-holder will carry out the following:
- Oversee and quality check all vaccine accountability processes and ensure any discrepancies are rapidly resolved.
- Manage all vaccine stock levels to minimise wastage though vaccine passing their expiry dates.
- Assist in the monitoring of the vaccine cold chain both during vaccine shipment,storage, and transport to field sites.
- Work with external sponsors, monitors and auditors to a high professional standard
- Work with officials from the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (MoHSW), Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI) and other relevant government bodies to ensure compliance of clinical trials with applicable agreements and regulations – this may include working with the clinical trial support office on import authorization and clinical trial authorization submissions to the national regulatory authorities
- Undertake all their work to ICH-GCP standards and applicable best practice related to vaccine and medicine management
- Maintain all required documents related to investigational products in the investigator site file/trial master file.
- Develop new, innovative, quality improvement procedures to further reduce error
- Write standard operating procedure (SOP), study specific procedures (SSP) and other clinical trial documents related to vaccine and drug handling
- Provide input into the writing of clinical trial protocols in the area of vaccine management.
- Train other members of the clinical trial team
- Manage medicine stock levels at field site in liaison with site nurse coordinators
- Provide support to other members of the clinical trial team
- Work independently and with initiative while communicating and concerns to senior members of the clinical trial team rapidly and effectively
- Assist with randomization processes in the field as required.
- Ensure clinical trials have a continuous supply of required medications. This will include working with the CSD Medicines Manager, Procurement and Stores staff to ensure adequate stocks of commonly prescribed medications and identified emergency drugs are available for the duration of the trial, and updating the Unit clinical formulary to include items for which there is a foreseeable long-term demand
- Working with clinical trial teams to ensure continuous improvement in stewardship of supplied drugs.
Appraisals are held at least annually.
Length of appointment:
The appointment is for 12 months initially and is subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
Any other duties:
To perform any other duties consistent with the remit of the post.
- Master’s degree in pharmacy, clinical trials or other directly relevant topic.
- Experience of pharmacy work in clinical trials and/or clinical practice.
- Experience of developing and maintaining drug formularies and of advising and overseeing clinicians prescribing practices.
- Detailed understanding of vaccine accountability and cold chain management.
- Other professional qualification in clinical trials.
- The salary attached to the post is in Grade 3, 27 Points of MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM’s pay scale at a net monthly salary of GMD49,737. This converts to a take home pay of approximately $1, 002 per month using the prevailing Dalasi/USD exchange rate.
- The package will also include furnished accommodation, flights, contribution to school fees for children and other benefits for displaced staff.
- The appointment is for 12 months initially and will be subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
How to Apply
To apply visit www.mrc.gm to download an application form and job description. Completed application forms should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Closing Date 27th May, 2019