Summary of position
• Under general supervision of the Migration Program Manager or an Officer, the incumbent analyzes, evaluates and makes recommendations on temporary and permanent resident applications.
• Uses electronic systems to verify requirements, document information, conduct research,complete verifications and communicate with clients.
• Analyzes program issues related to the management of the Lagos Migration Office and the Sub Saharan Africa network, in direct support of the Migration Program Manager.
• Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
• Successful completion of a university degree at Bachelor level.
• Fluency in English(oral and written)
• Minimum one (1)year work experience in the last (3) three years in a position dealing directly with migration or visa related issues in a Multi-National Corporation / Agency,High Commission or Embassy.
• Minimum two (2)years work experience in the last (3) three years in a professional, English speaking office environment;
• Minimum two (2)years work experience in the last (3) three years dealing with third country nationals in professional and customer service environment.
• Extensive professional experience using computer based applications, word processing and spreadsheet software, electronic mail and other web-based applications. This will be tested during the process.
• The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
• Computer literacy and proven proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power point) and internet browsers.
• Knowledge of World Events and Current Affairs, specifically related to Migration issues and Geopolitical Trends.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Canada Migration Program.
• Ability to analyse, evaluate and exercise sound judgement and decision making on a varietyof complex and interrelated issues.
• Ability to interpret and apply legislation.
• Ability to plan and organize work flows, set and manage priorities; with sufficient attentionto detail and ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
• Ability to work effectively in a high pressure environment and meet deadlines.
• Professional integrity, cross-cultural sensitivity and strong interpersonal skills.
• Strong focus on client service.
• Adaptability and flexibility.
• Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable,candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications intheir cover letter and CV.
• Ability to communicate (speaking and writing) in French.
• Experience working with IRCC systems.
• Knowledge of Canadian immigration law and policy.
• Must be willing and able to work overtime as required.
Condition(s) of Employment
• Successful candidates must possess a valid work authorization or otherwise be permitted to work legally in Nigeria by the closing date and for the duration of the employment period.
• Successful candidates must be able to obtain and maintain a valid Reliability Status (RS).
• The Deputy High Commission of Canada will not sponsor third country nationals for work permits.The appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to obtaining Reliability Status (RS). Proof of right to work and copies of educational and any specified professional qualifications will be required and verified. Any job offer is subject to receipt of satisfactory references.
Area of selection:
• Open to Locally Engaged Employees of the Deputy High Commission of Canada in Lagos and the High Commission of Canada in Abuja (Indeterminate or Term) and external applicants who are legally eligible to work in Nigeria and who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date.
• Applicants must be resident in Lagos at the time of hiring or be willing to relocate at own expense. Please note that the Deputy High Commission does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly.
• The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community.
• Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age,sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
Salary NGN 7,417,162 per annum
Application Deadline19th January, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Application Instructions / Procedure
• Candidates are required to upload a cover letter and CV in English or French. Candidates must explicitly demonstrate in the application how they meet the essential language,education and experience qualifications. Any additional information must be included as part of these two attachments.
• Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to: LESglobalstaffing-HLDC@international.gc.ca prior to the closing date. Failure to so will result in the application being rejected.